Roberts Family Adventures

The chronicles of the Roberts family since moving to Elk Grove, CA in July 2006.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Let's Go To The Hop



I'm a child of the 70's. I remembe Michael Jackson singing ABC when he was about 9/10 years old. I remember Atari and Pong. I remember break dancing in the 80's, but that's another story. What I've never experienced was a Sock Hop. I chaperoned the girls to their first school dance; yes a Sock Hop. I've never seen so many poodle skirts, slicked back hair, rolled up jeans and white socks in my life. The girls' teachers were into it. The DJ was into it. The girls were into it. I was reading email on my Treo; I wasn't into it. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what I thought about it. They had a good time with their friends and danced the night away. Well, almost, the dance ended at 7:30 because the next night was a school night. I wonder how long they will appreciate me sitting in a chair watching for predators, I mean boys, while they are at a dance. Maybe that's the next step in my role as daddy -- just call me the Sock Hop guardian...